08 December 2012
Slow Cooker Recipe:
Spicy Chicken Stew
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Stew
I love my slow cooker and have hit the motherload with some wonderful and healthy recipes! This one did NOT disappoint! The entire family enjoyed this one... which means it will be a regular in our house.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (approx 600 grams)
- 1 (10oz) package frozen sweet corn
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 white onion, chopped into big bites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (12.5oz) of natural, salsa (I used hot/spicy - I did not use low sodium but you can to cut on sodium)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chile powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 - 4oz skinless, boneless, chicken breast (I try to find/use low sodium)
- 2-1/2 cups veggie broth, no sodium
- 4 (6 inch) fresh corn tortillas cut into strips
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion, garlic in slow cooker.
- Stir in salsa, cumin, Chile powder and pepper.
- Place the chicken evenly on top of veggies and pour veggie broth over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook stew on high for 4 - 6 hours or until the chicken pulls apart with fork.
- Shred the chicken, add the tortilla strips and mix well with the veggies.
- Makes 10 servings
1 serving (not including garnish):
Dietary Fiber: 4.8g
Recipe by Amy Jo Horvath - NPC Figure Competitor: Facebook Fanpage